Sunday, November 7, 2010

Seriously Considering an Ultra...

I can't stop thinking about someday doing an Ultra marathon.

WHY??

I just finished my first half marathon.  I'm going to do another in May (although I seriously want it to be a full...more on that in a minute).  But I find myself thinking more and more about ultras and how great it would be to do one.  And a 12 or 24 hour race?  Sounds pretty neat.  What the hell is wrong with me??


About my half marathon/full marathon dilemma- I really want to do a full marathon instead of another half.  Besides just being able to say "I'm a marathoner", the race I've chosen (Green Bay) has a much cooler full marathon course vs. the half.  They also have a 7 hour limit, so I'm sure I could finish in time (barring some type of catastrophe).  However, I also very much want to be able to finish a half marathon strongly and with my best effort, which I don't feel I did on this last one (more to come on that in the next few days).

The smart thing to do would be this- half in May, Full in fall, Ultra in 2012.
What I want to do more and more is- half in April, Full in May, Ultra in July.

I know that would probably kill me.  But...if the Ultra was a 50K...that's really only 5 more miles than a marathon...I mean I'm not going to do a 50 mile or anything!

...yet.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's great you are riding the high of your race and if you don't put any pressure on yourself other than to finish, then go for the full and have fun. You can and should then do another half after the full and before an ultra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can totally do a full. one foot in front of the other. Join a local running club if you haven't already, they're awesome for meeting people and staying on track!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm still really undecided...I may sign up for the full and transfer to the half if needed...it's only $10 to transfer...

    ReplyDelete