Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First week of training for the half!

Yesterday marked the first official day of half marathon training for the Green Bay Half Marathon!

....I spent it as a rest day....

But to be fair, I ran the day before which was supposed to be a rest day, so I'm not too broken up about it.

Today I did some cross training for 30 minutes.  I cranked up the incline to 15% grade and walked at 2.6 (average) MPH for 30 minutes, covering 1.5 miles (plus an additional 0.5 miles of warm up cool down at a 1% grade).  It was tough, but I think incline training will really help me with leg strength.  Plus it was pretty fun!  I kept my heart rate at an average of 165 (max 180, when I decided it would be really cool to try to run at a 15% grade...it wasn't).

I did not look as perky or as skinny as this woman.  I can only assume this treadmill is not actually moving, otherwise she would be smiling less, and sweating more.





Also, and I think I've mentioned this before, probably several times...but for the love of god I wish I would sweat more!!  Seriously, at the 20 min mark, I had to jump off and run to the water fountain to give my face a lifesaving bath.  Pretty sure I'm the crazy girl that other gym goers come home and tell stories about to their family..."This girl at the gym...she was lip synching the whole time!  And dancing while keeping the beat with her left foot on the treadmill!  And then...I kid you not...she got off the damn thing to go take a WATER FOUNTAIN BATH!  Seriously, bitch had issues."*    (*All of this story is true.  Don't judge me.  ;)  )

Are there any other sweat deficient runners out there?  How do you cope??  I don't have a problem outside because I always have my water fanny pack on so I can dump water on my head anytime I need to.  However, I can't be the super socially awkward person who wears one of those on a GD treadmill.  Tips?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe a moist towel you could have handy to rub on your face?

    I compensate for your lack of sweatiness, I noticed I had left sweat on the treadmill today! Just a spot, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should just go all out and war the fanny pack. Then they'll really have something to talk about. You'll really liven up their dinner convos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steph, I just found your blog! I have a blog also, www.rungwenrun.blogspot.com, and I had to laugh because my profile says that I am the tortoise and not the hare....based on some of your running times, though, I'd say you're doing pretty well. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete