Friday, June 18, 2010

Meeting Results and Other Things from Yesterday

I was expecting a gain, and I got what I expected. Up 0.8lbs to 165.8. I have never been so happy to gain 0.8 in my life!! I was expecting it to be up like 2 whole pounds. 0.8 is nothing. 0.8 is a good dump.

Rode my bike to the meeting and back. Wasn't as bad as I expected- my butt is pretty darn sore after spin class on Wednesday...but my padded gel seal and padded bike shorts took the brunt of it for me. After the meeting I came home and ran 2.25 miles with my running buddy Erica.

I was REALLY not looking forward to this run. So much so that I wanted to call her and be like "don't come over, I'm a wuss". My quads are still (even today) killing me, my calves are pretty painful, and in general my legs feel like they're going to fall off. Running was the LAST thing I wanted to do.

I'm so glad I didn't wuss out!


The run was awesome. It was a great temperature outside. It didn't hurt to run as much as it does to go up and down stairs (or to even touch my legs). It made me feel very powerful. While I was running, I thought back on all the stuff I did this week...particularly the last two days. I thought about how when I told people I climbed the stairs twice their response was "Twice? In a row??" and they gave me disbelieving looks. I thought about how I followed that up by going to a spin class...on the same day. I thought about how I didn't find what I did that impressive or hard...just another day in the life of training for a half marathon.

While I was thinking about all of this, something amazing happened. I ran the 2.25 miles in 26 mins. I had to walk three different times for about 1 min a time. Overall, I ran a pace of 11:30 min/mile for the whole thing. For the running sections, I was really running at 11:03 min/mile.

Wait...what??

I know 11:03 isn't fast for most runners. I appreciate that. But for me, that is cookin'. More importantly, I was TIRED. I was SORE. I was NOT WANTING TO RUN. I was WHINY. And yet, I ran WAY FASTER than I should have. I was expecting closer to 12:30 or 13:00/mile with how I felt going into it.

I can't express how this makes me feel. I'm so proud of myself and how far I've come, and I'm proud of my body for taking a beating and coming back for more.

So...I guess next time I don't want to run...I just have to remember that my body is up for whatever I'm going to dish out if I just quit being a pussy about it.





Tonight I have the Relay for Life walk-a-thon. I'm making No-Pudge brownies to bring for our tent. I bought the mint kind as well...the batter tasted like mint fudge! God it was amazing.

Tomorrow is my four mile run!

1 comment: