Thursday, January 27, 2011

11 Events in 11 Months?

So, in 2011 there are only 5 months in which I'm not booked to do some type of fitness event (they are 90% running, but August's is a 4 day bike ride, which will make me not able to run that month as well).  Consequently, on the UP road runners club race calander, they posted two events (which I ran this last year) that would make it so I only have three months left in which I'm not running anything yet.

April 16th- Norway Spring Classic (last year I did the 10K, I would do that again this year)
June 26th- Munising Pictured Rocks Road Race 5K

The Norway one I'm doing for sure now because it's the next town over, so I have no excuse not to do it. Plus, I want to improve my time from last year, and it will be a good mid-length race to run the month before the Green Bay Half Marathon. 

The Munising one I'm going to consider for awhile....you see, now that I have another two months covered, I'm thinking it would be fun to run an event each month of the year in 2011 (I've missed January, but I'll deal).  However- Munising's 5K kinda sucked last year.  It was boring, little to no good scenery, and it is a 2 hour drive to get there for a 30 minute run.  On the other hand, it was my fastest 5K since starting running as an adult, and it would be neat to try to beat last years PR.  And, I potentially could run the half marathon that they have at the same time- which goes through trails and is pretty.  However...two half marathons in back to back months?  I don't know if that is wise.

Also...it doesn't say on the website if you get a medal or not for the half marathon, and as pathetic as it is, that is going to be a large contributor to whether or not I sign up.

As far as the other months I don't have planned?  Well September- I have some options- a half marathon or a 10K. November- I'm sure I can find a turkey trot somewhere, although I hate to plan that on Thanksgiving- but that seems to be the only things available in Nov around here!  And December- that will be easy- a 5 mile jingle bell run in Kiel, WI (which I did in 2009)

So...November is the only questionable one.



Hopefully I will look better than this by the end of the year....



Should I go for it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow you are ambitious.
    There are some local runs between The Southern Indiana Classic and the Chicago Marathon that I will do 5k & 10K, but I will not have something scheduled every month. I will probably look for a half somewhere in between to keep me motivated and gauge my progress. I have a long term goal of qualifying for and running the Boston Marathon.
    But good job on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I've been wanting to do an event on Thanksgiving for the past couple years, but travel always gets in the way! Hopefully this year things will be different:)

    Good luck with all your plans - I always like having a race planned so I have that extra motivation to keep at it ;)

    ReplyDelete